Wednesday, August 31, 2016

I Love My Spouse

There has been a challenge going around Facebook in recent months called the "Love Your Spouse" challenge.  Basically, if you are challenged, you have to post one picture a day for a whole week of you and your spouse.  Then, you are supposed to tag several other people to do the same.   Now, normally I don't participate in any challenge or the like on Facebook.  I'm just not that type of person to go along with what everyone else is doing.  But when I was challenged by a friend a few weeks ago, I decided to go ahead and do it for several reasons.

First of all, I really do love my husband.  Like, a lot.  Like he's pretty much my favourite person.  Second of all, I liked what it promoted.  I truly believe marriage is under attack in our society.  The beautiful institution of marriage that was put together by God in the Garden is being tainted, defiled, ignored, and even ridiculed.  So anytime we can promote the proper marriage of a man and woman is something to be celebrated.

But, as with anything on social media these days, there were the "naysayers" who thought it was stupid and refused to participate. And that's okay.  No one was forcing anyone's arm to do it.  The purpose of the challenge was not to make those who are not married to feel bad and have marriage rubbed in their faces all day(although I'm sure many felt that way).  And it wasn't to give the impression that everyone's marriage is prefect with no problems and the couple always getting along.  Because that doesn't exist.  When two sinners enter a marriage together, problems do arise.  Disagreements happen.  But that doesn't mean that we have to air that all out on Facebook.  I very much enjoyed seeing everyone's pictures of them and their spouse - often ones from first dates and wedding days and the like.

When I was posting my pictures of my hubs and I, I enjoyed "walking down memory lane" and remembering some of those fun times we have shared.  It gave me time to reflect on the man I married and the marriage with which I have been blessed.  I married a pretty incredible guy.  Let me brag on him a little bit...

To say my man has gone above and beyond these past few months is a huge understatement.  It's no secret that we've had a rough road this year.  And it been hardest on my husband.  But he has risen to the occasion and done so without complaint.  While I was in the hospital, he packed up our house and moved everything into storage.  He brought my kids by everyday to see me.  He traveled around from house, to hotel, to more hotels with the kids.  He did laundry in those hotels all the while keeping the kids quiet, happy, and fed.  He's driven in our van from Alberta, to Colorado, to Maryland, to New Brunswick (the trip from Colorado to Maryland was without me and with sick kids all along the way).

All throughout this, he has taken care of me, too.  I haven't said too much about it publicly, but I am still having a hard time physically.  Since my surgery at the beginning of June, I have not been able to walk on my own.  For the month of June, I was pretty much bedridden.  And now I am only able to walk a very short distance, and only with the help of a walker.  If it is any farther than a few feet then I need a wheelchair.  So because of this, I am unable to do any of the housework.

He cooks.  He cleans.  He does the laundry.  He carries me from the house to the car since I can't do it on my own.  He helps me in and out of bed.  His days are spent not only looking after the kids and household, but taking care of me.  And he doesn't complain (although he will make the occasional joke about how "high maintenance" I am - but it's all in good fun). 😁

I remember when we were first dating and I decided to sit him down and explain to him about my health and my back.  I told him that I don't have the physical strength and ability that most women my age do.  I told him how I wasn't sure if I would be able to physically handle having children (at that time I didn't know if my body would be able to handle carrying a child).  I told him that future surgeries were not and "if" but a "when"."   And I was terrified that he was gonna look at me and say, "Well, we had a good run.  But I don't want to have a wife with so many potential health struggles.  So see ya."

But he didn't.  He looked at me and told me that didn't bother him and he knew God would give us the strength to get through whatever came our way.  That he wasn't afraid.  I can't explain the relief I felt when he said that.  It further proved to me that this was the man for me.

I am so grateful for the man God gave me.  No, it isn't all roses and love songs.  We have disagreements.  We get mad at each other.  Sometimes its hard.  But it doesn't change the fact that we love each other.  We choose to love each other.  Whatever God brings down our path, we choose to support each other and be there for each other.  Because that is what love is.  It is a choice.  It is not a feeling - feelings change as quickly as the wind.

So yes.  I love my spouse.  I am so thankful for him.  He does so much for me and our children.  He is a godly man whom the Lord has gifted greatly.  He will give of himself to help others. He is considerate and thoughtful.  He isn't perfect, but he is pretty incredible.  And I am so grateful that he is mine. 😍

(NOTE:  I mentioned above about my struggles walking.  I am currently doing physio therapy to get my legs working properly again.  I also go back to see my surgeon next week for a follow-up so we will see what else we can do to get me walking again.  I very much long to be back to taking care of my family (and myself, for that matter) again soon.  I would appreciate your prayers in this area.)

No comments:

Post a Comment

I always love to hear your thoughts!