Thursday, October 27, 2016

My Biggest Blonde Moment Ever

It was Fall 2004. I was in my 4th year at Bible college and things were busy.  Classes, working, and spending time with my boyfriend, Matt, took up all my time.  So when Matt suggested we take a Saturday to have a break from the regular routine and go out to lunch and spend some time off campus, I was all for it.  We decided to make it a "family day" and have my sister, brother and his wife, my sister-in-law's sister and her husband come too.  We planned to go to lunch at Chili's (one of my favourite restaurants) and then go to a park and play some games.  I was very much looking forward to this day as things had been busy and stressful (we had all just gone through Hurricane Ivan a few weeks before). I honestly thought it was just going to be a fun day to be with my friends and family.  I was wrong.  It was much, much more.

The day arrived. I got up and ready for the day.  My first clue that something was up should have been the night before when my good friend asked me to be sure to stop by her room before I left to show her what I was wearing.  Ya, shoulda thought it strange.  But, since I was always getting fashion advice from this friend, I didn't think too much about it.  So I got dressed and headed out, stopping by her room first.  She looked me up and down, nodded her approval and told me to have fun.  I rushed off to catch the elevator down.

I got on the elevator that was crammed full of girls (which it always seemed to be crammed full of people!). On the elevator I saw another friend.  And by "saw" I mean we were jammed together in a corner, face to face, trying not to take up too much of each other's personal space.  She inquired about what my plans were for the day.  After I told her, she smiled and said, "Oh, you're definitely going to get engaged today." (Note: she knew nothing of the plans.  This was just a guess.) I immediately denied it.  Matt had made no indication anything was up.  He wasn't acting strange.  Plus, he knew that I did not want to be proposed to without a ring (Materialistic? Perhaps.  But it's what I wanted🙂).  And I just knew he couldn't afford a ring yet.  So there would be no engagement that day.  My friend and I "argued" about this the whole seven-flight elevator ride down.  We got off and I headed to meet up with everyone.  I suppose my next clue should have been this conversation.  It seemed to be obvious to her.  But sure wasn't to me.

We headed to Chili's and every one sat down and ordered. I was enjoying my lunch, chowing down on chips and salsa, and chatting with everyone.  I was happy just to be off campus and doing something different than usual. My socializing kept me busy - too busy to notice that Matt was a little quieter than normal and barely eating.  I think he took about two bites of food.  This should have been my third clue.

After lunch we headed to Bayview Park.  The park was still quite a mess from the hurricane, but we still found a nice picnic table under a pavilion and pulled out some games: Uno, Phase 10, etc.  I was about to grab the Phase 10, getting ready for a fun game with everyone.  But before I could grab the game my sis-in-law's sister grabbed it first and started shuffling the cards.  Matt then asked me if I wanted to go for a walk.  Truth be told - I didn't.  I wanted to hang out playing games with everyone.  I hardly saw my brother anymore and just wanted to enjoy the day with all of us.  I was about to say so to Matt when he started to stand and said to everyone, "Do you mind if we take a walk?"  Everyone all said "sure." I do remember no one making eye contact with me, which I thought a little strange.  That should have been my fourth clue.  Matt's extreme insistence that we go for a walk should have been my fifth clue.

So, with Matt standing waiting for me, I got up and we started "walking."   And by walking, I mean Matt was about three steps ahead of me with me trying to catch up.  It really felt as if he was running.  I kept saying, "Matt, where are we going?"  as I was trying to catch up with him.  I was starting to get irritated because he dragged me out on this "walk" but wasn't even walking by me.  What was the point of this?  What was up with him?

"Matt, where are we going?"
"Let's just go over by this tree?"
"Why are we going to the tree?"
"Emily, just come by this tree!"
"What are we going to do by the tree?"
"Emily, just look down." (By this time we had arrived at said tree.)

It was then that I looked down and saw.  A picnic blanket was laid out at the foot of the tree.  On the blanket was a beautiful long-stemmed single red rose.  Next to it was a wrapped gift and a card with my name on it.  I was shocked to see all this.  What was it for?  How did it get there?  This should have been my sixth clue.

Before I could ask these questions, Matt handed me the gift and card.  I opened the card and read some sweet words from Matt.  At the end of the card, it said that this gift was just a promise from him to me to give me "what I really wanted as soon as he possibly can."  Obviously I knew he meant a ring and engagement.  I opened the gift and smiled.  It was a cute Precious Moments figurine of a boy and girl sitting on a couch - the boy proposing to the girl.

"How sweet!" I thought.  "He's doing this to let me know he will ask me to marry him as soon as he can!"  I smiled at him and told him "thank you."

I was about to put the stuff down when Matt started talking.  He told me he had one more gift - he had written me a poem.  This wasn't the first time he had written me a poem, but it was the first time he didn't hand it to me on paper, but rather, quoted it to me.

He began quoting it.  Looking back, I remember the sweet yet somewhat nervous mixed with serious look in his eyes.  This should have been my seventh clue.

As we were standing there - him quoting this sweet poem he wrote and me facing him and smiling - I was thinking to myself, "Now, this is just what I imagine a proposal being like.  It's so sweet and romantic."  The fact that I was thinking this very thing should have been my eighth and biggest clue.  And yet, I still didn't catch on.

Matt was nearing the end of his poem, saying the words about how he knows God specifically brought me into his life.  And that's when it happened.  He reached in his pocket, pulled out a little blue box, got down on one knee and said,

"That's why I am asking you now...will you be my wife?"

He opened the box, displaying the most beautiful ring ever - exactly what I always wanted.

Even with all the clues throughout the day, I was completely and totally shocked. Stunned.  Astoundingly surprised.

He was finished with his poem, kneeling on one knee before me and holding out the ring.  I was standing there, looking back and forth between Matt and the ring, saying over and over, "Are you serious?  Are you serious?"

"Yes.  Yes, I'm serious.  Um, Emily...what's your answer?"

"Oh! Yes!"  I said, and then we put the ring on my finger.  I was so happy/shocked/excited that I forgot to hug him.  Instead, I was staring at the ring with the biggest smile on my face.  Matt then pointed behind me to where one of his friends was hiding, taking pictures of the whole event (he was the one who placed the blanket and gift).

I started asking Matt all kinds of questions about who all knew.  It was then that it all made sense.  The whole day was planned just for this.  It had been planned for some time.  The hurricane had thrown a little wrench in everything, but he just adjusted the plan.  He had thought it all out so well.

We left "the tree" and went back to the rest of my family and I did what every newly engaged girl does - started showing off my ring (on my very shaky hand - I was still in shock!).  My sister and sis-in-law were so excited.  They had been keeping this secret for a while and it was a relief for them to not have to keep it anymore.

They all filled me in on the details of the planning - from my friend who wanted me to show her what I was wearing because she knew I would want to look good for my engagement day - to Matt having already called and asked my dad's permission ( a huge deal to me!).  He had bought the ring that summer, being careful to get exactly what I had wanted ( I had already passed on a picture to him through my friend of what I wanted. I'm super subtle like that. 😜). He knew I so badly wanted my engagement to be a surprise.  And he did a fabulous job.

Looking back, there were definitely many clues that I should have caught on to, but I didn't.  I guess I was having one huge "blonde moment."  But it was perfect (well, except for the fact that I didn't give Matt anything right after he asked me - not a hug or even a handshake or high five.  He still reminds me of that. Haha!).

It's been 12 years since then.  We were married 7 months later - which was another perfect day.  I'm so very grateful for the handsome, thoughtful, strong, and incredibly godly man I said yes to. We have done a lot and been through much in the years since.  At times it's been absolutely wonderful and at other times we have had some very difficult trials to walk through.  We have had 4 children, quite a few moves, 4 major surgeries, worked in several different ministries, made and lost friends, laughed and cried together.  God knew what all was going to come down our paths and knew exactly who we needed to help each other get through it all.  When I'm at my low and feel I can't go on, Matt is there to encourage and be strong for me.  And vice versa.  I love my husband with all my being.

Yes, October 30, 2004, was a wonderful day.  Even if it was my biggest blonde moment ever. 😜

No comments:

Post a Comment

I always love to hear your thoughts!