Sunday, November 3, 2013

Lessons from Snow Angels

It started snowing yesterday around noon.  And did not stop until today around noon.  I think we got at least a foot of snow, probably more.  When the kids first saw yesterday that it was snowing, you would have thought it was Christmas.  They came running down the stairs to our basement where Mr. Handsome and I were sitting.  They were yelling with immense excitement, "It's snowing!  It's snowing!"  They spent the next few minutes jumping up and down and running around.  Their thrill and excitement got me thinking.

Its funny how something so simple like snowflakes falling from the sky can bring such excitement to young children.  They see it snowing and they immediately think of snowmen, snowball fights, snow forts, sliding, etc.  They can't wait until there is enough on the ground so they can go out and play.  

This was our second snow of the year.  We got some the week before.  Oh, it was really only an inch or so, but it was still snow!  It started early Sunday morning, and by the time we came home from church, there was enough to play in.  And they did.  As soon are their lunches were eaten, they got in their snow gear and went out to play with the neighbour kids.  I watched them out the window, seeing the joy and excitement on their faces.  And do you know what the very first thing they did when got out was?  They fell back and made snow angels.  Several of them.  I think I was smiling to myself as I watched.  Their thrill of such a simple thing was inspiring.

Somewhere in the process of growing from a child to an adult, we lose that thrill of the simple things.  Now, as adults, when we see snow, we think of it a little differently.  Oh, we still may get a little excited about some fun family outings in the snow.  But let's get real.  We also think of all the other "stuff."  

We think of the cost of snow tires.  We think of the exhausting task of shoveling out the driveway and sidewalks.  We think of the dangers of driving in the snow and possible ice.  We think of the cost of keeping the family properly clothed - boots, hats, coats, gloves, pants, etc. We think of the cold and the cost of heating the house - whether it be electric, gas furnace, or wood stove. We think of the mess its gonna make when they come inside.  We think of the extra time it takes to get out the door because you have to help bundle up all the kids.  (Like putting snow boots on your 1 year old.  If you have never done that, imagine having to put shoes on two of the tentacles of on an octopus.  That might be somewhat akin to the difficulty of the task.  And don't get me started on gloves....) 

I guess what I am trying to get at is this.  I think that the older we get, the more negative and critical we become of life circumstances.  Yes, all the things we as adults have to think about are real and important.  But why is it that that is the very first thing we tend to go to when we come upon a circumstance?  Why do we tend to be "glass is have empty" in our attitudes?  Why can't our first reaction be to run outside and make a snow angel?

I have always leaned toward looking more on the positive side.  I think that certain situations in my life have made me want to look for the good.  But I am finding that, now that I am older, I don't jump to find the good first.  I find myself complaining more often.  Now, I may be the only person who this is happening to, but I dare say I am not.  

Yes, as we become adults, we have much more cares, responsibilities and concerns.  We aren't as naive about life.  We know more of how things can change.  But does that mean we have to be negative right off the bat?

Have you ever been around a person who is negative all the time?  Don't you find that you get worn down and almost want to avoid that person?  What if that person is you?

So here's the thing.  As I watched my children laugh and play in the snow as they made snow angels, snow cupcakes, and whatnot, I was challenged.  I need to have that attitude more often.  When life brings about a situation, I want to have my first response to be seeing the good in it - to see the possibility of snow angels.  I know this won't be easy.  I know that there are things in life that are just plain hard.  I know that - believe me, I know it.  But I want to be more positive.  I want to encourage others to be more positive (hence, this post!).   

There is a popular saying these days - You Only Live Once (YOLO).  And while I think this is way overused and often used as a free ticket to do dumb and careless things with little or no responsibility, I do think it makes a point.  We do only have one life that God has given us.  We do have one chance at things.  Why not enjoy it with a positive attitude, rather than always looking for what could go wrong, or what is so terrible about the circumstances.  

Let's smile, jump up and down, and run outside and make snow angels.

Until next time....

No comments:

Post a Comment

I always love to hear your thoughts!